Where are you taking us this week?
It’s hot here in the UAE so let’s look a really cool destination – Montreux, the city of mountains and music.
Why will kids love it?
Summertime – swimming in Lake Geneva, riding the CHOCOLATE TRAIN. Goes from Montreux to the Nestle factory in Broc.
A vintage Belle Epoch Train takes visitors to the chocolate factory.
In winter – taking the CHEESE TRAIN and winter sports – skiing
Chateau de Chillon – a castle located on the lake that children would love as they can walk/run across the walls and ramparts of the ancient structure.
Why will the parents love it?
The Montreux Jazz Festival is from 30/6 to 15/7 2017
What’s the ideal ages to take your kids here?
I would say all ages are welcome.
How long are we ideally going for?
3 days, 2 nights at the minimum.
Top 5 Things to do with the kids that you might not already know about –
1. Old Town of Montreux – The Old Town, directly adjacent to the steep slopes at the edge of the forest, seems to be hidden at almost unattainable heights. Yet this quaint neighborhood is just ten minutes from the lakeside.
2. Marmots Paradise – Hike the rocky path along Rochers-de-Naye and at the top you get to see this beautiful wildlife park, names Marmot’s Paradise. Though the mountain has been taken over by human habitat, this natural wildlife park is still largely occupied by marmots. There’s even an educational exhibition inside the park gives you a glimpse of marmot’s habits.
3. Freddie Mercury Statue – and a walk on the flowered lakeshore, the way is flat and quiet, perfect to appreciate the impressive view.
4. Chateau de Chillon – a castle located on the lake that children would love as they can walk/run across the walls and ramparts of the ancient structure.
5. Chocolate/ Cheese train – Goes from Montreux to the Nestle factory in Broc. A vintage Belle Epoch Train takes visitors to the chocolate factory.
What should you not forget to pack for the kids on this trip?
A light jacket during spring and autumn as it can be cold in the morning and evening.
Sunscreen for the summer.
Lots of snacks and activity books for the train journeys.
How much money should you look to budget per day to spend on the kids on this trip?
Minimum AED 180 per day.
For the Mums – shopping
Zürcher, Avenue du Casino 45, 1820 Montreux. More than 130 years old, this tea-room is the perfect place to disgust or buy pastries and handmade chocolate.
Bazar Suisse, Grand-Rue 24, 1820 Montreux. Souvenir shop where you can find everything typical from the country.
The Grand-Rue is also known for its mode shops like La Griffe Ausoni (Grand-Rue 20, 1820 Montreux), Basil (Grand-Rue 24, 1820)
What will the kids learn from the trip?
Where to stay clear of in this place with the kids?
It’s extremely safe for everyone…so no worries here.
How much would it cost for a family of 4 to take this trip, for 1 week including flights, accommodation and spending money each day?
From Approx. AED 15,000 for flights and accommodation.
I recommend staying at the Grand Hotel Swiss Majestic located just outside the train station.
Andrea Bailey is a Dubai based travel writer. She is also a travel consultant with Travel Counsellors and specializes in cruises, family holidays and honey moons. When she’s not out and about discovering destinations and different cuisines of the world, you would probably find her busy with her 3 daughters and her other passions involving art and music.
As a mosaic artist, she has travelled to Italy and studied ancient Roman techniques of the art form and as a jazz flautist she has had the opportunity of performing across various Dubai venues.